Big Red Worms (Cook Grow Sew, LLC) Lincoln, NE
Big Red Worms is one of the largest privately held organic recycling and vermicomposting companies in the State of Nebraska. We partner with municipalities and local businesses to help them achieve their recycling goals. From the organic waste streams that we receive, we manufacture high quality compost, soil blends, and mulches to be used for beautification for the landscape. We have a full line of bulk and bagged products to meet our customer’s needs. If you are looking for a great opportunity to work with a rapidly growing company in a fast growing industry you should apply today. For more information please visit our website at www.bigredworms.com
We’re searching for an ambitious, organized, focused, friendly person who is hungry for learning to become part of the Big Red Worm’s Team. Our company is growing and evolving into new areas and we want a spirited, energetic, positive person to help us execute in the role of Assistant Compost Operations Manager.
This is an exciting role with many moving parts. We are interested in a person who would like to manage the composting process by operating our compost system, documenting temperatures, and making sure we make happy and healthy compost for our community. An affinity for big tractors and machinery with a heavy equipment operation background is a big plus. The position will also include leading and being part of the team specific tasks such as our bagging operation, materials cleanup, organic materials recycling tracking, and lots more. Also, we will require the person to jump in our truck to make deliveries and lead our “compost cross-fit” program of delivering 50 lbs. bags of amazing soil and compost all over Lincoln, NE. With over 5 million worms and growing to manage, composting processes, and daily business tasks, our facility is never dull–everyday will be different. A person with a strong work ethic and a driven personality will be highly considered, regardless of skill set.
What Kind of Time Are We Talking About: 30-40 hours per week.
What Kind of Money Are We Talking About: $13 – $17 per hour DOE.
Where is This Job: Lincoln, NE
- Management of Static Aerated Compost piles including: operation, loading/unloading, temperature management, moisture management, and documentation of process.
- Compost site laborer management on specific tasked projects including but not limited to: product bagging program, inventory documentation, materials contamination management, laborer evaluations and feedback to management team, and other assigned duties.
- Motivated to stay on task, complete daily tasks, and increase your skill sets.
- Assist in managing worms including but not limited to: watering, feeding, and expanding populations.
- Assist compost site management and mechanics in procurement of tools, equipment, supplies, and manage the scheduling of needed equipment servicing with management team.
- Ongoing compost site management support to compost site managers in other related tasks.
- Increase knowledge set of machinery operation to advance to other equipment operation on the site.
- Deliver bagged products on pallets and by hand to locations across Lincoln and surrounding areas in the BRW truck (bags range in weight from 25-60 lbs. – just as good as a cross-fit class running bags up, down, and all around – and you get paid for it).
- Deliver bulk product in the Big Red Worms 5 or 10-yard dump trailer being able to maneuver into the most optimal compost dumping positions with absolutely no property damage.
- Assist is social media management from the compost site by working with other team members to capture the magic moments in “compost land”.
- Promote the Big Red Worms Brand (be a Brand Champion).
- Complement efforts implemented by the compost site managers and support laborers.
- Maintain an entrepreneurial, innovative mindset. Think creatively to find new solutions with an understanding the wheel doesn’t need to be reinvented or everything.
- Assist in the development of strategies and tactics to grow the business at the compost site and on the road.
- Build relationships with customers and recyclers on the compost site and on the road to understand product demands and materials recycling future volumes.
- Provide appropriate feedback from customers to management team.
- Maintain strong brand and product knowledge of Big Red Worms and competitor lines.
- Educational Requirements: Preferred Associates in Agriculture, Business, Environmental Science, or related field.
- Interest in “green industries/compost/recycling”.
- Drive to help organization grow and improve.
- Able to lead yet take direction.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and problem solve with minimal instruction.
- Concise, clear and effective communicator, lead yet follow when needed.
- Extreme customer service and satisfaction orientation.
- Must be personable, flexible and mature.
- Ability and desire to learn new skills (on and off the job).
- Valid Nebraska driver’s license with clean driving record is REQUIRED.
- CDL is a plus but not mandatory
Applicants should also possess:
- A positive attitude, no downers; negativity has no place here.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong English and communication skills. Ability to ask questions to foster understanding.
- Strong customer service skills (we treat our clients with respect and smiles).
- Self-motivation (we’re looking for someone with initiative to help our growing company).
- Ability to anticipate company needs.
- Ability to work in various weather temperatures and wear weather appropriate clothing.
- Wearing of safety gear and steel toed boots is required
- Must submit to drug testing
Thank you for considering this position; we are looking forward to meeting with you to explore if we’re a good match. If your interest and ability to learn new processes and follow directions with respect to our business your hourly pay will increase quickly.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $13.00 to $17.00 /hour DOE
Send us an introduction letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be scheduled M-F after 5pm at the Big Red Worms office. Visit our Facebook Page to learn more about what we do.